Wednesday, May 16, 2012

CUTE - Handmade Flowers for Mothers Day... or Any Day

I found this recipe for "glue" to make yarn flowers. The recipe is 1 cup water to 1/4 cup corn starch. You cook that over medium heat until it is combined and glue like. If it is too think, just add more water. Make sure you keep stirring it while it is cooking. I cooked it for about 8 - 10 minutes. When it is done, put it in a bowl and let cool. Meanwhile, cut yarn in to 12" long pieces. Put cookie cutters (I used heart shapes and flower shapes for ours) on a piece of wax paper. Dip the yarn pieces into the cooled glue and set inside the cookies cutters. Make sure you have an even layer and all corners are covered. Take the cookie cutter off and repeat this process as many times as you have yarn for! You can either let the "flowers" set over night or put them in a warm oven (I just set my oven on the "warm" setting) for 2 hours to dry (put them on a cookie sheet). When they were done, we added wooden skewers for the stem and glued on buttons for the middle of the flowers. I also added felt pieces to the backs of them to make them look more "finished". To make our vases, we wrapped bottles (I used empty beer bottles) with yarn! Cute handmade gift that is easy and fun for the kids to make!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add Your Comment...